June 1, 2010

Frugal Decorating.....

A month or two ago we went to visit some of our sweet friends and while we were there the city was having a clean up day.
Anyone who had big items to get rid of could set it out with the trash and the city would pick it up or anyone who wanted it could have it.
Well, this is my kind of stuff,
so we went driving around and found some fun items.....
But this is my ultimate find!!!!


A very nasty white wall shelf!!!
I was so excited. :)



This is the side view.
Pretty yucky........


I sanded it first and wiped it down really good.
Then I spray painted it. I had to go over it a couple of times, but it only took one can of paint!
Here is the final product!!!!

Isn't pretty?
I think it turned out great!!!
I set it up in my room in my reading nook and put two of my Betta fish (Sherlock and Watson :) )
on it to use as bookends.
I am so pleased about how it turned out!



Here is the side view with my photographs above it.

The rainbows on the wall come from a prism I have hanging in the window

I got the idea for that from Pollyanna! :)


The total cost for shelf: $1.08 !!!!!!



Since my post is about how to frugally decorate, I though I'd share some pictures of the rest of my room as well!

This is my bed.....

The picture frames to the left I got very much on sale at Wal-Mart. I just put some photographs I had taken in them.

All the pillows I have were either given to me or I got them from a little old lady who makes them and sells them at garage sales. (I love garage sales! You never know what you will find!)

The shelves to the right I also got at a garage sale!



Here is a close up of the pictures.....
The center painting I got as a graduation gift and the one in the far right bottom corner my Great-Grandma painted for me!






I wanted to show you a close up of this one because
all the picture is a pretty card a sweet sister sent me!


I wanted to be able to see it often, so I just framed it! :)





Here is the other side of my room...

These shelves my Dad bought me a Habitat for Humanity.
The things on them were mostly given to me or I got them at a garage sale. :)

I'm still looking for the right piece to go above my CD player......
Who knows what I will find? :)

I hope this little tour of my room may have given you
some ideas on how to fix up your own space and still be frugal!

Have you refurbished something you have gotten at a yard sale or used?
What ways have you decorated your room/house frugally?

Please share so the rest of us can get some ideas! :)

9 comments:

Julia said...

Hi Laura!

Lovely blog you have here! I'm so glad you left me a comment so I found it! :D I purchase most of my beads at Fire Mountain Beads and Gems. (if you google that you should be able to find it...) They're based out of Oregon and have a huge *HUGE* selection of beads and beading supplies.

I love how you frugally decorated your room! One of my frugal room projects was to take the corner cabinet in my room and line the backdrop for the shelves with colored paper! It looks beautiful and didn't cost hardly anything. :)

I think I actually have a post about it on my blog somewhere... Lol. :)

Hugs,
Julia

Jenna said...

You found a real treasure, Laura! You did a wonderful job turning the dirty, white shelf into a beautiful, book shelf! :)
Your room is lovely as well. I love all the pictures you have hanging in your room.
Have a blessed Tuesday, dear friend!

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna

P.S. Thank you for the sweet comments you leave on my blog. They mean SO much to me! :)

Hannah grace said...

The shelf is very pretty and i Love your room and bed!


Blessings Dear Friend
Hannah

Sky said...

Great project/job!- the shelf has done a complete 360 :)

Unknown said...

Oh, what a transformation, Laura! I love the betta fish on the ends! And you have a lovely bedroom. Blessings to you dear friend!

India Edith said...

Nice job on the shelf, Laura! I like it! For decorating... my favorite thing is to hang dried flowers on my walls. Flowers I got from dance recital, or friends - I even have some from Hawaii! It's neat though, just hang them upside down and they are beautiful when they dry! (plus it's cheap haha, and makes my room smell nice)

Blessings!!
~India

Hannah Paige said...

Good job, Laura! I really like what you did. I'm still working on my room.:d Hopefully I can do some more decorating soon!

I can't wait for you to get back!

~Hannah Paige

Lauren said...

Thank you so much for praying for me... I feel like the Lord is slowly healing my heart.
I can't believe we had the same kind of post! How funny. Great minds must think alike...
Have fun on your trip!

Leah said...

BEAUTIFUL! Very good ideas. :D


I don't think I have any ideas...
Oh wait! If any one knows of chalk board paint, it is very practical and can be painted on many surfaces. We have it painted on our kitchen cupboard, school room wall, and in my sisters' and my bedroom.

Thanks for sharing your bedroom. :D

Blessings,

~Leah