July 6, 2010

The Answer!!!!

Thanks to all who guessed about yesterday's picture!!!!!
Most of you thought it was an aloe vera plant which is close because I think they are in the same family group. Anyway the picture was of a............

Century Plant!!!!!
This one is growing in my Grandma's yard.
It is called a century plant because every 30-40 years it blooms!
I know that is not a full century but it seems like it takes that long!! :)

When it blooms it sends up an extremely tall stalk....
When I took this picture with my brother in the stalk had grow up to 19 feet!
And in the next time we saw it was close to 30 feet up!!!!


This is a picture of the top.....
Looks a bit like asparagus. :)
Most Century Plants (or agave) will send up a stalk that is between 30 and 50 feet up.
When it has bloomed the entire plant dies.
I think it is a really neat plant, so I thought I'd share it with you!!!!








4 comments:

Sonja Langford said...

My grandmother has several of those plants in backyard! I can't believe I didn't remember! :-) Thank you for posting about this!

Blesssings,
Addie

Hannah said...

Oh I was going to guess an Agave plant-- that is what my brother thought it may have been! I have seen a small century plant... that one is HUGE!

Sky said...

Thats a really cool pant! Do they have to get a new one after it dies?

Hannah grace said...

Hey Laura!
I haven't heard from you in a
while.i am sure you have been busy,I hope you are having a great week

~Hannah~
Ps i had guessed that it was an aloe vera plant but i never found the time to comment.